Vampires, skeletons, mummies and gingerbread men? Who says gingerbread cookies are only for the winter holidays? No one, that's who. So now's the perfect time to whip up a delicious batch of Halloween themed gingerbread cookies and enjoy them with a Perennial hot chocolate - the perfect fall snack.
PERENNIAL GINGERBREAD COOKIES
- 3 ¼ cups flour
- 1 ¼ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- ¾ tbsp ground ginger
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- ½ tsp allspice
- ¼ tsp ground cloves
- ¼ tsp ground nutmeg
- ⅔ cup butter
- ¾ cup brown sugar
- ⅔ cup molasses
- 1 tbsp ground flaxseed + 3 tbsp water (or an egg replacer equivalent to 1 large egg)
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- Add flour, baking soda and all spices to a large bowl. Whisk to combine and set aside.
- Mix ground flaxseed and water in a small bowl and set aside.
- In a separate bowl, use an electric mixer to cream vegan butter for 1-2 minutes. Add brown sugar and molasses and mix again until combined. Add flaxseed/water mixture and vanilla. Mix until fully combined.
- With mixer on low, slowly add dry ingredients. The dough will be sticky and thick. Knead the dough by hand and separate into two-halves. Wrap tightly in plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 3 hours.
- Preheat oven to 350°F and line baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Roll out chilled dough to ¼” thickness on a floured surface. Use cookie cutters to cut out shapes and place on baking sheets, about 1” apart.
- Bake for 8-9 minutes. Cool on baking sheet for 5 minutes and then transfer to a cooling rack.
- Decorate and enjoy!