It’s finally camping season! Time to load up the sleeping bag or airbed, tent or RV, and let the road take you to new adventures.
But, what do plant-based folks eat on a camping trip? Those new to the lifestyle may miss their favorite camping foods – s’mores, hot dogs roasting over the fire.
No need to miss out. Ideas for vegan camping trip delicacies are limited only by your imagination. There are so many tasty, easy-to-prepare and transport snacks and meals. And trust us…once you get started, you’ll naturally start cooking up even more tantalizing ideas on your own!
Here are some of our favorites.
If you love s’mores, try them with vegan marshmallows and dark nondairy chocolate. Or, you may enjoy Banana Split Boats:
- With the peel on, slice into a banana lengthwise. Keep the bottom intact. Like you are making a boat.
- Stuff with dark chocolate chips and nuts.
- Close the banana and wrap tightly in foil.
- Toss in toward the edge of the campfire (near the flames but not directly in them) for a few minutes.
- When cooled, remove foil; open peel and dig in!
- Top with plant-based whipped cream for an extra treat.
Love hot dogs or brats? With so many plant-based versions on the market, you can indulge with all your favorite plant-based fixins.
Breakfast can be tricky for those just starting a plant-based lifestyle. Perennial Vanilla Coconut Oatmeal charges your batteries with the energy you’ll need for a day of hiking and exploring.
- 1 cup oats
- 2 tbsp chia seeds
- Pinch of salt
- 2 bottles of Perennial Daily Gut & Brain - Vanilla
- 2 tbsp maple syrup or agave
- Optional: ¼ cup coconut flakes, walnuts, chocolate chips
- Pour oats, chia seeds, and salt into a bowl or mason jar.
- Heat Perennial and syrup/agave until hot (not to a boil).
- Mix and allow to cool.
- Add your favorite toppings: coconut flakes, walnuts, or chocolate chips.
- Enjoy your protein-packed breakfast.
Dinner doesn’t have to be complicated. Keep it simple with grilled tofu and veggie kabobs – just soak pressed/drained tofu chunks in your favorite marinade (BBQ sauce, teriyaki, balsamic vinaigrette). Skewer along with chunks of peppers, onions, tomatoes, carrots, zucchini – all your fave veggies—and fire away. Or, nestle tofu and veggies along with marinade in foil packets and toss along the edges of your campfire. Serve by itself, in a tortilla, or over potatoes.
Don’t forget “accidentally vegan” camping classics like corn on the cob, roasted potatoes, campfire popcorn (kick it up with smoked paprika, garlic salt, or nutritional yeast), ants on a log (PB, celery, and raisins), PB&J sammies, and ice-cold watermelon chunks.